Bronchitis is a condition known in between of common cold and pneumonia. Bronchitis is the Inflammation and swelling up of the tubes that carry air to your lungs , called bronchioles or bronchial tubes.
There are two types of bronchitis –
1) Chronic Bronchitis –
It is cough productive of sputum that persists for 3 months out of the year for atleast two consecutive years .The cough and inflammation may be caused by initial respiratory illness , exposure to tobacco smoke or other irritating substances in the air.It can cause airflow obstruction and then it is grouped under the term chronic obstructive pulmonary disease ( COPD).
2) Acute Bronchitis –
It is more common and usually caused by a viral infection. It could lasts for 10-14 days , possibly causing symptoms for 3 weeks.
• A persistent cough ,which may produce mucus.
• Low fever and chills
• Sore throat
• Feeling of tightness in the chest
• Blocked nose and sinuses
• Bronchitis happens when a virus , bacteria or irritant particles trigger an inflammation of the bronchial tubes.
• Smoking is the key factor to cause bronchitis.
• Breathing in air pollution and other things that bother your lungs like chemical fumes or dust , overtime.
• History of respiratory disease or Gastroesophageal reflux disease ( GERD) can cause chronic bronchitis.
• Recurrent episodes of acute bronchitis can change to chronic bronchitis.
• Low immunity also cause to recurrent episodes of bronchitis infection.
Single episode of bronchitis usually is not a issue of concern but it can lead to pneumonia in some people on recurrent episodes to happen.
• Avoid Cigarette smoking.
• Wash your hands properly to avoid catching viral infection.
• Wear a surgical mask.
• Improve your immunity.
• Get vaccinated for influenza and pneumonia.
• In physical examination ,your doctor listen to your chest sounds with use of stethoscope.
• Chest X- ray
• Sputum tests
• Pulmonary function test with the help of spirometer.
• Drink lots of fluids.
• Take over the counter medication like Ibuprofen.
In time acute bronchitis will go away often without treatment. If symptoms don’t subside then following medications can be used-
• Oxygen therapy if needed in severe cases.
As bronchitis infection is generally due to virus , antibiotics are not suitable here. Most doctors will not prescribe antibiotics unless they have identified bacteria as the cause of an illness.This point is of needed concern ,as overuse of antibiotics makes it harder to treat an infection in the long term.
Ayurveda Perspective –
In Ayurveda bronchitis is termed as Kasa .5 types of Kasa has been told in Ayurveda but common dosha aggravated in kasa is kapha with association of vata dosha. Vata dosha takes kapha dosha to targeted bronchioles which we called pranvaha Srotas in Ayurveda and produces kasa .
Some really miraculous herbs for bronchitis –
• Turmeric – It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
• Ginger – It helps in easy expulsion of mucus .
• Honey – It helps in controlling and treating cough.
• Holy Basil – It helps in treating sore throat.
• Black pepper – It helps in relieving the mucous membrane.
• Mulethi – It has anti-inflammatory properties.
• Eucalyptus – It is Ayurvedic inhaler to open airways obstruction.
Some effective Medications –
• Talishadi churna
• Trikatu churna
• Abhrak Bhasm
For more informative articles on health issues,please visit our website www.santripty.com and also feel free to consult.