An inguinal hernia occurs when tissue, such as part of the intestine, protrudes through a weak spot in the abdominal muscles. The resulting bulge can be painful, especially When you cough, bend over or lift a heavy object.
An inguinal hernia occurs in the abdomen near the groin area. They develop when fatty or intestinal tissues push through a weakness in the abdominal wall near the right or left inguinal canal. Each inguinal canal resides at the base of the abdomen.
Both men and women have inguinal canals. In men, the testes usually descend through their canal by around a few weeks before birth. In women, each canal is the location of passage for the round ligament of the uterus.
Inguinal hernia can be of following types-
• Indirect inguinal hernia –
It is the most common type. It often occurs in premature births, before the inguinal canal becomes closed off. However, it can occur at anytime during your life. It is most common in males.
• Direct inguinal hernia –
It most often occurs in adults as they age. It is more prevalent in men
• Incarcerated inguinal hernia –
Thistype of hernia happens when tissue becomes stuck in the groin and is not reducible. This means it can’t be pushed back into place.
• Strangulated inguinal hernia –
It happens when intestine comes in an incarcerated hernia has its blood flow cut off. This type of hernias are life threatening and require emergency medical care.
• A bulge in the area on either side of your pubic bone, which becomes more obvious when you are upright, especially if you cough or strain
• Weakness or pressure in your groin
• A heavy or dragging sensation in your groin
• A burning or aching sensation at the bulge
• Pain or discomfort in your groin, especially when bending over, coughing or lifting
• Occasionally, pain and swelling around the testicles when the protruding intestine descends into the scrotum
Signs & symptoms of a strangulated hernia include-
• Nausea, vomitting or both
• Sudden pain that quickly intensifies
• Inability to move your bowels or pass gas
• A hernia bulge that turns red, purple or dark
• Increased pressure within the abdomen
• A pre-existing weak spot is the abdominal wall
• Strenuous activity
• Chronic coughing or sneezing
• Straining during bowel movements or urination
Risk Factors –
• Being male
• Being older
• Being white
• Having family history
• Chronic cough
• Chronic Constipation
• Premature birth and low birth weight
• Previous inguinal hernia or hernia repair
• Pressure on surrounding tissues
• Incarcerated hernia
• Maintain a healthy weight
• Emphasize high-fiber foods
• Stop smoking
• Lift heavy objects carefully or avoid heavy lifting
Doctor can usually diagnose an inguinal hernia during a physical exam. During the examination, doctor will ask the patient to cough while standing sothey can check the hernia When it is most noticeable.
then it is reducible, doctor should be able to easily push an inguinal hernia back into your abdomen when the patient lying down on his back. However, if this is unsuccessful, patient may have an incarcerated or strangulated inguinal hernia.
If hernia is small and is not bothering the patient, doctor might recommend watchful waiting. Sometimes, wearing a supportive truss may help relieve symptoms, but it should be approved by the doctor because it is important that the truss fits properly. In children, the doctor might try applying manual pressure to reduce the bulge before considering surgery.
Enlarging or painful hernias usually require surgery to relieve discomfort and prevent serious complications.
There are two general types of hernia operations –
• open hernia repair
• laproscopic repair
Inguinal hernia is compared to Aantra vruddhi in Ayurveda. It is one of the 7 types of Vruddhi as explained in Ayurveda texts.
The Vayu getting aggravated due to the consumption and exposure to the above said causes narrowing of a part of intestine and displaces it from its normal site. After displacing the intestine from its normal site, the vitiated Vayu further pushes the part of the intestine into the groin and causes a swelling which resembles a granthi. If neglected, the vitiated Vayu further pushes the intestinal part downwards. At the same time, the vitiated Vayu also moves further down into the scrotum and causes swelling of the scrotum. This condition is called Aantra Vruddhi.
The first line of treatment for hernia remains surgery in the modern medicine. Sushruta too has considered Auntre Vruddhi as asadhaya i.e. difficult or impossible to treat especially once the abdominal contents mainly the intestine drips into the scrotum.The treatment principles and medicines works with dietic and lifestyle correction with a view of providing substantial relief from symptoms and also to prevent the disease from progressing.
Beneficial Herbs –
• Kutaja –
Some useful formulations –
• Bala Eranda – Erande taila prepared and processed with decoction of Bala is highly effective to relieve distension and flatulence and cure Antravruddhi associated with pain.
• Rasnadi kwath
• Pippalyadi lepa – Paste of Pippli, Jeeraka, Kustha, Badar, Shushka gomaya made in Kanji
• Derdarvayadi lepa- Paste of Devdaru, Mishi, Vasa, Takali Mula and Sain- dhava lavana mixed in honey should be applied on the scrotum swelling to relieve Aantra Vruddhi.
• Triphla gugglu
• Shankh Vati
• Chitrakadi Vati
• Kanchnar Gugglu
• Vriddhivadhika Vati
Effective Yogasana –
• Uddiyana Bandha –
• Vajrasana –
For more informative articles on health issues, please visit our website www.santripty.com and also feel free to consult.
whoah this weblog is great i love studying your posts.
Stay up the good work! You recognize, many individuals are searching around for this information, you can help them greatly.
Feel free to surf to my homepage – Robby
Thanks for appreciating..kindly share and support