Chickengunya is a viral illness transmitted by aedes mosquitoes characterized by sudden onset of fever and severe joint pain. Chickengunya word literally means “to walk bent”. Sign and symptoms usually appear within 2-7 days after being bitten by an infected mosquito.
• Joint pain is the main characteristic symptom of it. Pain might become severe in morning and on movement.
• Sudden onset of fever
• Muscle pain
• Skin rashes
Usually these symptoms improve within a week , however,occasionally the joint pain may last for months or years. The risk of death is around 1 in 1000.
Chickengunya fever is caused by the spread of Chickengunya virus through the mosquitoes. The virus is spread between people by two types of mosquitoes –
• Aedes albopictus
• Aedes aegypti
These mosquitoes mainly bite during the day time.
Laboratory criteria includes a decreased lymphocyte count consistent with viremia. Diagnosis can be accomplished through viral isolation ,RT- PCR or serological diagnosis.
• As no approved vaccine exists,the most effective means of prevention are protection against contact with disease carrying mosquitoes and controlling mosquito population by limiting their habitat.
• Wear bite proof long sleeves and trousers.
• Stay in house secured screens on windows and doors.
Currently no specific treatment is available for it.
Supportive care is recommended and symptomatic treatment of fever and joint swelling includes the use of NSAIDs such as naproxen ,non – aspirin analgesics such as paracetamol and fluids.
Aspirin is not recommended due to increased risk of bleeding.
Ayurvedic Perspective –
Ancient Ayurveda describes a similar condition named Sandhik sannipatik jwara.
Ayurveda Therapies –
Ayurvedic therapies like Abhyanga with medicated oil like mahanarayan oil and Rasayan therapy with oral use of medications like Ashwagandha are used to rejuvenate the body.
Beneficial Herbs –
• Guduchi – It is tridosha shamak and acts as rasayan also to rejuvenate the body.
• Sunthi – It is anti-inflammatory as well as acts as painkiller.
• Tulsi – It has antiviral property to fight against virus of Chickengunya.
• Nimba – It act as blood purifier to fight with different allergies and rashes.
• Haridra – It acts as painkiller and anti-inflammatory properties to act against joint pain.
• Shallaki – It is best known medicine for joint pain.
•Ashwagandha – It gives strength to the body .
Effective Medications –
• Maha sudarshan churna
• Dhanvantra gutika
• Tribhuvan Kirti Ras
• Tralokyachintamani Ras
For more informative articles on health issues, please visit our website www.santripty.com and also feel free to consult.