Corona virus disease 2019
Corona viruses are a family of viruses that can cause illnesses such as the common cold, severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS). Corona virus disease 2019 was identified as the cause of a disease outbreak that originated in China.
The virus is now known as the severe acute respiratory syndrome corona virus 2 (SARS-CoV-2).The disease it causes is called coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
Doctors and scientists are learning new things about this virus everyday. So far, we know that COVID-19 may not cause any symptoms for some people.
You may carry the virus for 2 days or up to 2 weeks before you develop symptoms.Some common symptoms that have been specifically linked to COVID-19 include-
• shortness of breath
• a cough that gets more severe over time
Less common symptoms include-
• repeated shaking with chills
• sore throat
• loss of taste or smell
• a stuffy or runny nose
• muscle aches and pains
• gastrointestinal symptoms such as diarrhoea, nausea and vomiting
• discoloration of fingers or toes
• pink eyes
However, individuals with COVID-19 may have some, all or none of the above symptoms.
Most people with COVID-19 will only have a mild case.People are characterised as having a mild case if they –
• have any of the typical symptom of COVID-19 (such as cough, fatigue or loss of taste or smell)
• don’t have shortness of breath or abnormal chest imaging
Mild cases can still have long lasting effects.
You need emergency medical services if you have any of the following symptoms-
• trouble breathing
• persistent pain or pressure in the chest
• blue lips or a blue face
• excessive drowsiness
Coronaviruses are zoonotic. This means they first develop in animals before being transmitted to humans.
Once the virus develops in people, coronaviruses can be transmitted from person to person through respiratory droplets. The viral material hangs out in these droplets and can be breathed into the respiratory tract, from where the virus can then lead to an infection.
It is possible that you could acquire SARS-CoV-2 if you touch your mouth, nose or eyes after touching a surface or object that has the virus on it.
SARS- CoV-2 Can also be passed on via airborne transmission of small infectious particles that may linger in the air for minutes to hours.
Riskfactors for COVID-19 includes –
• Close contact(within 6 feet or 2 meters) with someone who has COVID-19
• Being coughed or swayed on by an infected person
Older adults and people with certain health conditions have a higher risk for severe complications if they contract the virus.These health conditions include-
• serious heart conditions, such as heartfailure, coronary artery disease and cardio myopathies
• chronic kidney disease
• chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
• sickle call anemia
• type 2 diabetes
• a weakened immune system from a solid organ transplant
• Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)
• Irregular heart rate (Arrhythmia)
• Kidney injury or kidney failure
• Cardiogenic shock
• Severe muscle pain
• Heart damage or heart attack
• Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in Children (MIS-C), this is also known as pediatric multisystem inflammatory syndrome (PMIS)
To test for the COVID-19 virus, a health care provider takes a sample from the nose (nasopharyngeal swab), throat (throat swab) or saliva. The samples are then sent to a lab for testing. If you are coughing up sputum, that may be sent for testing.
There is no specific treatment for COVID-19.People who get a mild case need care to ease their symptoms,like rest, fluids and fever control.Take over the counter medicine for a sore throat, body aches and fever. But don’t give aspirin to children or teens younger than 19.
As now vaccine is available for corona virus disease 2019 ..soo everyone who is eligible for the vaccine shot should take their shot to make theirselves safe from COVID-19.
Antibiotics won’t help because they treat bacteria, not viruses. If you hear about people with COViD-19 getting antibiotics, it is for an infection that came along with the disease.
People with severe symptoms need to be cared for in the hospital.
The antiviral medication called remdesivir is the first medication to get FDA approval for treatment.
• Wash your hands often with soap and water or clean them with an alcohol based sanitizer
• Practice social distancing
• Cover your nose and mouth in public
• Don’t touch your face
• Clean and disinfect
As per Ayurveda view COVID-19 comes under Janopadodhavansam Vyadhi which spreads through climate, air, water and land.
• Haridra –
• Marich –
• Tulsi –
• Giloy –
• Arjuna –
• Pippli –
• Agastya Haritaki
• Giloy ghan Vati
• Tribhurankirti Ras
I hope this article helps the readers to understand more about corona virus disease 2019
For more informative articles on COVID-19 and on other health issues, please visit our website www.santripty.comCoronavirus and also feel free to consult.