Hyperacidity is a condition that is characterized by heartburn that is felt around the lower chest area. It occurs when stomach acid flows back up into the food pipe. It is also known as GERD(Gastroesophageal Reflux) or Acid Reflux.
It causes increased secretion of hydrochloric acid (HCL) ,which is a part of digestive process. Whenever our body requires energy , the stomach cells start secreting hydrochloric acid and makes us feel hungry. In hyper acidity,acid secretion increased and not only it causes irritation of the stomach’s inner layer ,but it gets regurgitated in our food pipe .Most commonly it is called as heartburn as it causes irritation in the region of the heart.
Sign & symptoms –
• Burning in the chest in the stomach region and sometimes the entire abdomen.
• Burning sensation and pain in the throat.
• Difficulty in swallowing.
• Frequent burping for no apparent reason.
• Prolonged sour taste or bitter tasting acid in the mouth.
• Post meal heaviness.
• Bad breath
• Weight loss for no reason
1) Unhealthy eating habits –
• Skipping meals or eating at irregular times.
• Eating just before sleeping
• Consumption of spicy food
• High intake of salt
• Diet low in dietary fiber
2) Excessive consumption of certain foods –
• Drinks such as tea , coffee , carbonated drinks ,soft drinks.
• Extremely spicy food.
• Fat rich food such as pizza, fried foods.
• Being heavy non- vegetarian always.
3) Side effects of certain medications –
• Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
• Medicine for high blood pressure
• Depression and anxiety medications
4) Stomach Disorders –
E.g. Gastroesophageal Reflux diseases ,tumors ,peptic ulcers etc.
5) Other causes –
• Excessive stress
• Lack of sleep
• Frequent smoking
• Lack of physical exercise
• Frequent consumption of alcohol
6) Certain Diseases –
There are certain test which can confirm your hyperacidity situation –
• Barium swallow
• Esophageal manometry
• pH monitoring
• Eat smaller meals more frequently during the day.
• Quit smoking
• Eat atleast 2-3 hours before lying down.
• Drink one glass of lukewarm water after meal.
• Try to loose weight if you are obese.
• Modify the types of food you are eating.
• Avoid acidity causing medications.
• Avoid caffeine and carbonated drinks.
• Avoid sleeping on your right side.
Best to use antacids that contains both magnesium hydroxide and aluminium hydroxide. When combined ,they may help counteract these gastrointestinal side effects.
Ayurvedic Perspective –
According to Ayurveda hyperacidity is called as Amalapitta. Aggravated pitta is the main cause of hyperacidity.
Line of treatment –
1) Home Remedies –
• Coconut water atleast 2 glasses per day.
• A glass of watermelon juice with breakfast.
• Fresh lime juice atleast an hour before lunch.
• A glass of buttermilk after a spicy meal.
• Banana , cucumber and yoghurt are instant relievers.
• Drink atleast 2 litres of water everyday.
2) Shaman chikitsa –
• Cow’s ghee one tsp empty stomach in the morning can pacify Amalapitta. Ghee has been told as best pitta shamak.
• Some herbal preparations –
*Aloe vera juice
• Some Ayurvedic Medications –
3) Shodhan chikitsa –
If shaman chikitsa doesn’t work than we need to expel out the aggravated pitta dosha by some Panchkarma procedures like –
For more informative articles on health issues, please visit our website www.santripty.com and also feel free to consult.