Kutki is a traditional hepatprotective herb that has immense healing properties. Therapeutic herbs and spices are found growing in every nook and corner, whether we recognize them or not. The botanical name of Kutki is Picorrhiza Kurroa and Scrophulariacea family.
It is a small perennial herb, that usually grows to a height of about 20-30 cm.
Touted for its intense bitter taste, this eastern root is said to be cooling, cleansing and anti-bacterial by nature. It is a pitta pacifier, anti-inflammatory agent, detoxifier and an antimicrobial powerhouse. It has properties to increase digestive fire, thus promoting healthy elimination of excess fat and cholestrol, and boosting overall metabolism.
Phyto-chemical components –
This incredible herb shows the presence of iridoid glycosides such as picroside 1, picroside 2, picroside 3, picroside 4, kutkoside, pikuroside, d- mannitol, kutkiol, kutki sterol and flavonoids like apocynin and vanilic acid.
Effects on Doshas –
The bioactive ingredients in this bitter herb balances the Pitta doshas and Kapha doshas and often an excess of it can aggravate Vata doshas.
Medicinal Uses –
• The plant offers support to the liver functioning by secreting bile which in turn helps the liver enzymes to come down to normal levels.
• Its root helps the body shed excess weight faster. It satiates sudden hunger panges and prevents overeating and hence can play an important role in one’s weight loss regimen.
• It is used to treat a lot of heart ailments.
• It holds high significance in treating common cold, sore throat, cough and fIu symptoms. It is also beneficial in treating bronchitis and asthmatic conditions.
• Its root and rhizome plays an important role in treating different types of ulcers like ulcerative colitis, peptic ulcer, canker sores or mouth ulcers.
• It not only used for removing bacteria and germs from the body but also used for recurring fever conditions.
• It also helps in reducing general debility, weakness and fatigue and improves the vitality of the body.
• It has anti-flatulent property that reduces gas in alimentary canal, aids in constipation thus improving digestion.
• It has hypoglycemic property also and helps in pacifying the blood s you levels in the body and regulates diabetes.
• It also extremely effective against Rheumatoid Arthritis as having anti inflammatory properties.
• It offers antioxidant, antimicrobial and blood purifying properties. It help in reducing various signs of aging like wrinkles, blemishes, spots, fine lines and dark circles. Also works efficiently in certain skin diseases like acne, psoriasis, scabies etc.
Useful Part –
Rhizome or root part
Adults : 500 mg – 1 gm powder preferably with water twice a day after meals
• Aarogyavardhini Vati
• Maha yograj Guggulu
• Panch tikta Ghrita
• Triphala Ghrita
• Purarnavadi Kwath
Side Effects –
An overdosage of Kutki can lead to vomiting, rash, anorexia, diarrhoea, dizziness, headache, abdominal pain and itching. Pregnant women and breast feeding mothers should avoid using this herb.
For more informative articles on health issues, please visit our website www.santripty.com and also feel free to consult.
You must be logged in to post a comment.