Lipoma is a growth of fatty tissue that slowly slowly develops under your skin. People of any age can develop a lipoma but children rarely develop them. Lipoma usually appear on the neck, shoulders, forearm, arms and thighs but can appear on other areas such as stomach and back. Lipomas are considered as benign growths or tumors of fatty tissue. It means lipoma is not cancerous and is rarely harmful.
1) It usually appears as a small ,soft lump.
2) These knots are usually less than 2 inch wide.
3) Lipomas are generally soft to the touch.
4) Move easily if you pressurise it with your finger.
5) Placed usually just under the skin.
7) Grow slowly
8) A lipoma is only painful if it compresses nerves underneath the skin.
1) The cause of Lipomas is largely unknown , although there may be a genetic cause in individuals with multiple lipomas.
2) It is most prevalent in adults between the ages of 40 and 60.
1) Your Doctor can diagnose a lipoma simply by physical examination.
2) Sometimes , a biopsy may be needed to diagnose lipoma to rule out the possibility of cancer.
3) Further testing using MRI and CT scans may be required if a biopsy shows a suspected lipoma which is actually a liposarcoma.
Lipoma usually if it remains in your body doesn’t cause any harm to your health. You only need treatment if it bothers you like start paining or size increasing speedly.
Doctor decide for treatment based on variety of factors including –
1) Size of the lipoma.
2) Number of skin tumors you have .
3) Personal history of skin cancer.
4) Family history of skin cancer.
5) Whether the lipoma is painful or not.
Following are the ways to treat the condition –
a) Surgery –
Most common way to treat a this condition is to remove it through surgery. This procedure is typically done under local anaesthesia through a procedure known as excision.
b) Liposuction –
As Lipomas are fat based ,this procedure can work well to reduce the size of lipoma. This procedure involves a needle attached to large syringe and the area is usually numbed before procedure.
c) Steroid Injection –
These injections may also be used right on the affected area. This treatment can shrink this problem , but it doesn’t completely remove it.
Ayurvedic Treatment –
In Ayurveda lipoma is named as Medojgranthi which can be treated by following ways naturally –
1) Udawartan –
It is Ayurvedic remedy to control the size of lipoma . It is a deep penetrating herbal lymphatic massage that helps to prevent further accumulation of fat. It eliminates the lymphatic toxins from the body , improves blood circulation and digestion by balancing Kapha dosha.
2) Vaman –
Vaman is given to the people with high imbalance of Kapha . Since lipoma is caused due to deposition of fat , Kapha derangement of person needs to be worked upon. The person with lipoma must undergo Vamana .Here vitiated dosha are eliminated through upper GI tract.
3) According to Ayurveda Copper is helpful to cure extra growth. Take water in copper container , leave it overnight and drink it in next morning .
4) Some herbs –
Bitter herbs increase body’s ability to digest fats. Yarrow , wormwood ,gentian ,olives , unsweetened chocolate ,dendelions green are some of bitter foods .
Chickweed is popular to treat it.Take one tsp of chickweed thrice a day .
Bark of Kanchnar tree boiled in water also give wonderful results in treatment of lipoma.
Turmeric itself is very helpful in its treatment.
5) Foods to avoid –
6) Exercise –
Pranayam’s exercises like Bhastrika , Anulom vilom , Udgeeth , Bhramri , especially Kapalbhati is very important to get rid of this problem.
For more informative articles on health issues, please visit our website www.santripty.com and also feel free to consult.