Mononucleosis or mono refers to a group of symptoms usually caused by the Epstein- Barr Virus (EBV). It typically occurs in teenagers, but one can get this infection at any age.The virus is spread through saliva, that why some people call it as “the kissing disease”.
Many people develop EBV infections as children after age 1. In very young children, symptoms are usually nonexistent or so mild that they can’t be recognized.
Once you have an EBV infection, you aren’t likely to get another one. Any child who once get infected EBV will probably be immune to mono for the rest of their life.
Mono occurs 25% of the time when an adolescent or young adult is infected with EBV. For this reason, mono affects mainly high school and college students.
Incubation Period of mononucleosis-
The incubation period of the virus is the time between when you contract the infection and when you start to have symptoms. It last for 4-6 weeks.The sign and symptoms of mono typically last for 1-2 months. The incubation period may be shorter in young children.
Symptoms of mononucleosis-
Common sign and symptoms of mononucleosis include –
• Sore throat, perhaps misdiagnosed as strep throat, that doesn’t get better after treatment with antibiotics.
• Swollen lymph nodes in your neck and armpits
• Swollen tonsils
• Night sweats
• Muscle weakness
• Skin rash
• Soft, swollen spleen
Causes of mononucleosis –
After you become infected with EBV, it remains inactive in your body for the rest of your life. In rare cases it can reactivate, but there usually won’t be any symptoms.
Mono is contagious.It can continue to be contagious for 3 months or more after you experience the symptoms.EBV virus is spread through direct contact with saliva from the mouth of an infected person or other bodily fluids, such as blood. It’s also spread through sexual contact and organ transplantation.
One can be exposed to the virus by a cough or sneeze, by kissing or by sharing food or drinks with someone who has mono.
Risk factors of mononucleosis-
• Young people between the ages of 15 and 30
• Medical interns
• People who take medications that suppress the immune system
Complications of mononucleosis-
• Enlargement of spleen
Less common complications –
• Heart Problems
• Complications involving the nervous system
• Swollen tonsils which can block breathing
Diagnosis of mononucleosis –
• Physical examination
• Complete blood Count
• White blood cell count
• EBV Antibody test
• Monospot test
Treatment of mononucleosis –
There’s no specific therapy available to treat infectious mononucleosis.Antibiotics don’t work against viral infections such as mono. Treatment mainly involves taking care of yourself, such as getting enough rest, gargle with salt water, eating a healthy diet and drinking plenty of fluids. You may take over-the-counter pain relievers to treat a fever on sore throat.
Prevention of mononucleosis –
Mononucleosis is spread through saliva.If you’re infected, you can help prevent spreading the virus to others by not kissing them and by not sharing food, dishes, glasses and utensils until several days after your fever has improved and even longer, if possible.
Remember to wash your hands regularly to prevent spread of the virus.
Ayurveda recommend dietary changes that can help you increase your energy. The diet comprises herbs and foods that help detoxify the lymphatic system, ease pain and reduce inflammation .
• Mulethi –This is a energy boosting herb and prevent lethargy and fatigue.
• Kutki- It works as antiinflammatory agent that helps reduce swelling, pain and irritation..
• Kanchnar- It encourages absorption, breakdown and ingestion of food in the intestine as well as stomach.
• Pippli- It helps reduce inflammation and oxidative damage caused to the affected cells.
• Turmeric- Its component curcumin decreases lymph nodes swelling and removes the infection.
• Ashwagandha – It contains immunity boosting and regenerative characteristics.
• Amla- Its natural antioxidants relieves the symptoms of mononucleosis such as weakness,swelling of lymph nodes etc.
• Guduchi – It increases the overall immunity of the body.
• Kanchnar Gugglu
• Punarnava Mandur
• Mulethi Churna
• Ashwagandha Churna
• Swarn malini Vasant Ras
• Abhrak Bhasma
• Guduchi Sat
• Aarogyavardhini Vati
• Mahasudarshan Churna
I like the helpful info you provide for your articles.
I’ll bookmark your blog and check again right here frequently.
I am rather sure I’ll be told many new stuff proper right here!
Good luck for the following!
my webpage … Fern