Sadness is one of the seven universal emotions experienced by everyone in the world. Sadness is often considered a negative emotion. It serves an important role in signalling a need to receive help or comfort.
Sadness is an emotional pain associated with feelings of disadvantage ,loss,despair, grief, disappointment and sorrow.
Emotional states –
Following are emotional states ranges from least to most intense for sadness to occur –
• Facial Expression –
Reliable sign of sadness is angling up of the inner corners of eyebrows ,upper eyelids dropped and eyes looking down and lip corners pulled downwards.
• In voice Expression –
When someone is sad,slow ,low pitched speech,softer in volume with weak high audio frequency energy is produced.
• Pupil Empathy –
Pupil size may be an indicator of sadness. A sad facial expression with small pupils is judged to be more intensely sad as the pupil size decreases.
• Sensation of sadness –
It includes tightness of chest , heaviness of limbs , stinging in the throat and watery eyes
• Posture sadness –
Person often seems of having a loss of muscle tone ,a lowered posture and looking away or downwards.
The universal trigger for sadness is the loss of a valued person or object ,though this can vary between individuals how much importance they give to that person or object.
Some common triggers are –
• Rejection by a friend or lover
• Endings and goodbyes
• Sickness or death of a loved one
• Being disappointed by an unexpected outcome
Sadness is one of the long lasting emotion. It is important to understand sadness is different from depression ,which is a common but serious psychological disorder.
Is it a bad emotion?
Negative emotions like sadness ,anger , jealousy etc. can make you dislike yourself and others and reduce your confidence and self esteem and also general life satisfaction,still these feelings are completely natural. Negative emotions can dampen our enthusiasm for life , depending on how long we let them affect us and the way we choose to express them.
Drawback of this emotion stop us from thinking and behaving rationally and seeing situations in their true perspective. When this happens,we tend to see only what we want to see and remember only what we want to remember.This only prolongs the grief and prevents us from enjoying our life .
How to deal with sadness?
• Donot blow things out of proportion by going over the time and again in your mind.
• Try to be reasonable – Accept that feelings are occasionally unavoidable and think of ways to make yourself feel better.
• Relax -Use pleasant activities like reading , walking or talking to a friend.
• Learn – Notice how sadness make you feel and which event trigger those feelings so you can prepare in advance .
• Exercise – Aerobics activity lowers your level of stress chemicals and allows you to cope better with negative emotions .
• Let go of the past – Constantly thinking over negative events makes you more sad and it also Rob’s your present and makes you feel more bad
Therefore think positive and concentrate over solutions so that you can live happily .
For more informative articles on psychology and on other health issues, please visit our website www.santripty.com and also feel free to consult.