Aparajita is one of the most potent herbs used for various medicinal purposes. It is also known as Butterfly pea.The name Aparajita itself tell that it can’t be defeated by anyone diseases. It’s botanical name is Clitoria ternatea which belongs to Fabaceae family. It’s Sanskrit name is Vishnukranta. It is mainly used as brain tonic.
Clitoria ternatea is a perrenial, vigorous, trailing, scrambling or climbing vine with a strong woody rootstock. Stems are sparsely hairy, sub-erect and produce slender new stems from the woody base each year. The leaves are compound with 5-7 leaflets, elliptical, 3-5 cm long. The flowers are solitary or paired, blue or white.
Chemical Constituents –
It’s seeds contain a fixed oil. Both seeds and root-bark contain tannin, taraxerol and teraxerone. Leaves contain aparajitin and b-sitosterol.
• Intellect promoter
Parts Used –
Root, Flowers, Pods, leaves and seeds are the parts used for medicinal purposes.
• Root powder (1-3g)
• Seed powder (1-3 g)
• Leaf powder (2-5 g)
• Juice- 10 milligram
• Intake of Aparajita may help in keeping the brain healthy and makes it work faster. It has a tranquillizing effect on the brain hence it is used in symptoms like syncope, vertigo and brain weakness.
• It helps to treat irregular menstrual periodic cycles. Moreover, this flower cum herb also treats the problems related to the reproductive system.
• This plant’s root is specially used for leucoderma
• It can be used to provide relief from Arthritic and Rheumatic pains. Paste of leaves can be applied on swollen and inflamed joints.
• Aparajita has enough antioxidants named Proanthocyanidin which circulates blood to the eye cells. Which is important to remove Glaucoma, blurry vision, hemorrhage etc.
• Aparajita is used in ‘Panchakarma’ treatment of ayurveda. These treatments.The benefits of Aparajita are effective in the internal andexternal detoxification process of the body.
• You can take Aparajita seeds to detoxify stomach or other internal body organs. It can improve your digestion and reduce the chances of stomach ache.
• Being spermatogenic, it is given in semen debility
• For diabetes patients, Aparajita can do miracles as it helps to regulate blood sugar levels. Drinking a cup of tea made from Aparajita flower after having a meal can prevent sugar level fluctuation and can control blood sugar levels.
• Aparajita helps to reduce triglycerides and cholesterol. Both roots and seeds of Aparajita have the ability to reduce triglycerides, along with this it is also known that the roots of Aparajita can help in treating cholesterol.
• It is used for purgation in ascites.
• It’s roasted seeds are used with milk for children cough and cold.
• Instilling a few drops of the seed extract in the nose will help address Migraine and headaches.
Ayurvedic Formulations –
• Garbhpal Ras
• Vataraktantak Ras
For more informative articles on Ayurvedic herbs and other health related issues, please visit our website www.santripty.com and also feel free to consult.