Short stature is a general term for people whose height is considerably below average compared to the height of their peers. A child can be significantly shorter than their friends and still be perfectly healthy. This is particularly true if both parents are also shorter than average.
Genetics is major determinant of height . However ,short stature can sometimes indicate an underlying medical problem. Your child’s Doctor will measure your child’s height and then refer to a growth chart. This chart shows the average height of other children of the same age and sex.
Growth rate is an important indicator of overall health. Children who don’t reach the 5th percentile by the age of 5 years are said to be small for gestational age. Normally ,at 8 years of age , a child in span is around the same as their height. If these measurements are out of proportion ,this may be a sign of disproportionate short stature sometimes known as Dwarfism.
The most common cause of short stature is having parents whose height is below average ,but around 5% of children with short stature have a medical condition.
Those conditions for short stature are as follows:-
1) Under nutrition , due to a disease or lack of nutrients.
2) Hypothyroidism ,leading to lack of growth hormone.
3) A tumor in the pituitary gland.
4) Diseases of the lungs ,heart ,kidneys ,liver or Gastrointestinal tract.
5) Condition that affect production of collagen and other proteins.
6) Some chronic diseases ,such as celiac disease and other inflammatory disorders.
7) Rheumatologic diseases such as arthritis are linked to short stature due to glucocorticoid treatment which affects the release of growth hormone.
As the range of conditions is so broad , restricted growth can be classified in various ways. Here is one of categorisation :-
1)Variant Restricted Growth –
Sometimes a person is small but otherwise healthy. This can be referred to as variant restricted growth. It may happens for genetic or hormonal reasons .If the parents are also small this can be called Familial short stature (FSS). If it stems from a hormonal issue ,it is a Constitutional delay in growth and adolescence (CDGA).The limbs and the head develop in proportion with the spine and the individual is otherwise healthy. Hypothyroidism can lead to low growth hormone production. Growth hormone given during childhood may help.
2) Proportionate Short Stature (PSS) –
Sometimes overall growth is restricted ,but the person’s body is in proportion and the individual has a related health problem ,this is known as Proportionate Short Stature.
Whatever the reason ,if it affects overall growth ,it may affect development in atleast one body system ,so the treatment is needed.
During adulthood , a person with this type of restricted growth is more likely to experience some health problems like osteoporosis , cardiovascular problems , reduced muscle strength etc.
3) Disproportionate Short Stature(DSS) –
It is linked to genetic mutation. The parents are usually of average height. An individual with DSS will be small in height and they will have other unusual physical features. Most individuals will have an average size trunk and short limbs ,but some people may have a very short trunk and shortened ,but disproportionately large limbs. Head size may be disproportionately large. Intelligence or cognitive abilities are unlikely to be affected unless the person has hydrocephalus or too much around the brain.
1) TSH for Hypothyroidism.
2) Complete blood count to test for anaemia.
3) Metabolic test to assess liver and kidney function.
4) ESR and CRP to assess for Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
5) Urine test can check for enzyme deficiency disorders.
6) Imaging scan such as X-ray ,MRI .
7) Bone marrow or skin biopsies.
1) If there are signs of malnutrition ,the child may need nutritional supplements or treatment for a bowel disorder or other condition that is preventing them from absorbing nutrients.
2) If growth is restricted or delayed because of a hormonal problem , growth hormone treatment may be necessary.
Ayurvedic way to increase height –
1) Panchkarma Therapies –
Therapies like Abhyanga ,Vasti ,Nasya are beneficial in short stature treatment.
2) Some Ayurvedic herbs –
Ashwagandha helps to increase height as it contains minerals that helps to improve bone density and skeletal system.
Drink it every night ,Madhurima,Methika ,Dhanyaka (Fennel , Fenugreek,coriander) are useful to improve digestion and metabolism. It improves liver functions.
3) Some pistis –
Like praval pisti ,Mukta pisti are natural calcium compounds that increases calcium content in bones.
4) Rasayan Therapy –
It restores the strength of all tissues. It enhances memory ,improves the functioning of vital organs and nourishes all the tissues.
5) Diet and nutrition –
It plays a vital role to develop the body by stimulating the human growth hormones. A daily diet should contain fresh leafy green and coloured vegetables ,fruits ,nuts ,seeds ,whole grains and low fat dairy products .Drink plenty of water. Avoid the excess intake of fried ,oily ,salty and fast food.
6) Rest or sleep –
It is a major factor in developing body structure. Take enough sleep to grow the body tissue or regenerate the hormones.
7) Physical exercise and yoga –
Regular exercise helps to grow the body , strengthen body muscles and bones . Try stretching , hanging , swimming or bicycling to increase the height naturally.
When it comes to height increase yogasana like
Try all these exercises and asanas , your child will surely get confidence of having good personality and acheive good success in their life.
For more informative articles on health issues, please visit our website www.santripty.com and also feel free to consult.
you can connect us on