Birdflu | avian influenza, is a viral infection that can infect not only birds, but also humans and other animals. H5N1 is the most common form of birdflu. It is deadly to birds and can easily affect humans and other animals that come in contact with a carrier.
Currently,the virus is not known to spread via human to human contact. Still, it is a deadly virus and can become a pandemic threat to humans.
• fever (100.4°F or 38°C)
• Respiratory difficulties
• Sore throat
• Muscle aches
Although there are several types of birdflu, H5N1 was the first avian influenza virus to infect humans.
H5N1occurs naturally in wild waterfowl, but it canspread easily to domestic poultry. The disease is transmitted to humans through contact with infected bird faeces, nasal secretions or secretions from the mouth or eyes.
Consuming properly cooked poultry or eggs from infected birds does not transmit the bird flu,but eggs should never be served runny. Meat is considered safe if it has been cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F.
Risk factors –
Birdflu has the ability to survive for extended periods of time. Birds infected with H5N1contine to release the virus in faeces and saliva for as long as 10 days.Touching contaminated surface can spread the infection.
You may have a greater risk of birdflu if you are-
• a poultry farmer
• exposed to infected birds
• a traveler visiting affected areas
• a health worker caring for infected patients
• someone who eats undercooked poultry or eggs
• a household member of an infected person
• Influenza A/H5(Asian lineage) viras real time RT-PCR primer and probe test
• Auscultation( a test that detects abnormal breath sounds)
• white blood cells count
• nasopharyngeal culture
• Chest X-ray
In most cases, treatment with antiviral medication such as Oseltamivir (Tamiflu) or Zanamivir ( Relenza) Can help reduce the severity of the disease. However, the medication must be taken within 48hours after symptoms first appear.
• organ failure
• acute respiratory distress
You can mininge your risk by avoiding-
• open air markets
• contact with infected birds
• undercooked poultry
Be sure to practice good hygeine and wash your hands regularly.
Emerging and re-emerging infectious diseases continue to impose a constant threat on human population.Among several infectious diseases,viral infections in particular, caused by a range of new and old infectious viruses, Challenge survival of mankind on this planet.with increasing resistance of microorganisms to standard antimicrobial therapy,alternative treatments especially from herbal sources are being re-explored at gaining speed.A number of medicinal plantshave been explored and found potential against lethal viral infections.
Effective Herbs –
• Turmeric –It is very effective herb due to the presence of the compound curcumin ,which contains potent antiviral, antifungal, anticancer and antibacterial properties and also defends immune system to get damaged.
• Garlic – It is another potent natural remedy dueto its antiviral and antibacterial properties.
• Green Tea – It actas an effective natural care for bird flu.It is rich in antioxidants and contain substances that have strong antiviral properties. Green tea also restricts the release of the enzyme called neuraminidase,which the bird the virus requires in order to reproduce .
• Astragalus-It Can help enhance the immune system, Thatby strengthening the body and make you at less vulnerable to the flu.
• Olive leaf extract- It is a strong immune system enhancer, which supports the blood and lymphatic systems to fight bird flu.
• Jamun – It indicates marked antiviral activity against H5N1virus.
• Echinacea –It is a natural immune system booster that helps in strengthening the system against this virus.
• Cayenne pepper – It helps dilate the pores of the body and allows sweating. This encourages the release of toxins Which further helps fight against thebird flu virus.
For more informative articles on health isssues, please visit our website www.santripty.com and also feel free to consult.