Kanchnar is a famous Ayurveda herb also known as Mountain Ebony is an ornamental plant planted in gardens, parks, and roadsides in many warm temperate and subtropical regions. Its fame comes from being an important ingredient of Kanchnar Guggulu, an Ayurvedic formulation.
Its Latin name is Bauhinia variegata. It belongs to the Fabaceae family.
Effect on tridosha –
It balances aggravated Kapha and pitta dosha.
Properties & Compounds –
Kanchnar has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, cytotoxic, anti-inflammatory, pain and fever alleviating, and thyroid regulating properties.
Active compounds found in this herb are beflavone, flavonoIgycoside, triterpene, saponin, and flavonoids.
Useful part –
Stem bark, leaves, seeds, and flowers are the main parts of the Kanchnar tree that are being used for medicinal purposes.
• Bark powder – 250 mg to 3 gms in divided doses.
• Decoction – 40 to 80ml
• Flower extract – 10 to 20 ml
The decoction or herbal tea of the bark is used to cleanse it and to quicken the healing process.
• It has antimicrobial action which helps in cervical lymphadenitis (Enlarged lymph nodes on neck and groin region ).
• It reduces any other extra growth such as cyst, lipoma, fibroma, fibroid in the body.
• It is beneficial in reducing nasal polyps and helps in easy breathing.
• It also works on tumor-like growths.
• It is useful in improving liver functioning and gives wonderful results in jaundice.
• It is highly beneficial in hormonal imbalance problems and relieves in menstrual disorders such as anovulation, amenorrhoea, endometriosis, PCOS( Polycystic ovarian syndrome)
• It works in tonsilitis and thyroid gland functioning disorders.
• It is also used as a scrapping herb to reduce extra fat in obese people.
• It is helpful in the treatment of rectal prolapse.
• It is useful in skin diseases.
• It relieves worm infestation.
• It is also useful in cough and cold.
• Its bark powder is effective in bleeding piles.
• Its leaves are beneficial in managing diabetes by reducing blood glucose levels and improving lipid profile due to the presence of antioxidants.
Ayurveda medicines –
Medicines with Kanchnar as an ingredient
• Kanchnar Guggulu – It is a famous Ayurvedic formulation for lipomas and cysts.
• Chandanasava – Used as a cardiac and digestive tonic
• Chitrakadi Taila – This oil is used to apply to the fistula tract to bring about quick healing.
• Ushirasava – Used in treating heavy menstrual bleeding, skin diseases, etc.
• Mutra sangrahaniya Kwath – Used in UTI.
• Gandmala Kandana Ras – Used in goiter, cervical lymphadenitis.
Side Effects –
Overconsumption of Kanchnar should be avoided as it might cause constipation.
For more informative articles on health issues, please visit our website www.santripty.com and also feel free to consult.
You can also follow us on