Frustration is an emotional response to stress. It’s a common feeling that everyone will experience in their life. Some people experience frustration in the short-term — like a long wait in the grocery store — but for others, frustration can be long-term.
Frustration is an emotion that occurs in situations where a person is blocked from reaching a desired outcome. In general, whenever we reach one of our goals, we feel pleased and whenever we are prevented from reaching our goals, we may succumb to frustration and feel irritable, annoyed and angry. Typically, the more important the goal, the greater the frustration and resultant anger or loss of confidence.
The definition of frustration is the feeling of irritability or anger because of the inability to achieve something. Being in a constant state of such emotion can lead to many problems in your life.
It can show up in a number of different ways. While these expressions can vary from one person to the next, some of the common signs includes –
• Anger or losing your temper
• Avoiding the people you are frustrated with
• Experiencing changes in your eating habits
• Feeling annoyed
• Feeling anxious or on edge
• Getting overwhelmed and giving up on tasks
• Having trouble sleeping or experiencing other changes in your sleeping patterns
• Using alcohol, nicotine, or other substances to cope
This can happen if frustration is making you feel incompetent. If your needs for fulfillment in your daily life are not being met, that can also result in poor sleep and nightmares.
• Internal frustration involves feeling unhappy with some aspect of yourself, whether it is your efforts or your behaviors.
• External frustration involves being stressed by something in your external environment. Getting stuck in traffic when you are in a hurry to get to work is an example of an external cause of frustration.
Common causes of it includes –
• Daily hassles
• Interpersonal conflicts
• Stressful current world events
• Work-related problems
Along with immediate symptoms of frustration such as irritability and annoyance, it can also have more lasting effects on your health and well-being.
It can also lead to other problems, including –
• Aggression: Feelings of anger can lead to aggression that may be directed at yourself or at others.
• Depression: Over time, frustration and disappointment can contribute to feelings of sadness and depression.
• Poor self-esteem: Frustration may also cause you to lose confidence in yourself, particularly when the sources of your feelings tend to be internal.
• Unhealthy behaviors: It isn’t uncommon for people to cope with feelings of frustration in maladaptive ways, such as turning to alcohol, drugs, food, or other behaviors that can negatively impact health.
Coping with frustration –
When coping, it’s important to get to the root of the problem. These feelings won’t go away on their own, so you need to figure out what’s causing them.
You can start by taking these steps to determine the cause of your problem –
• Talk to someone you trust about your feelings. Talking out loud can help you sort through what you’re feeling, instead of keeping it inside.
• Start journaling. Writing your feelings and experiences down can help you gain perspective and relieve frustration. It’s also a useful tool when you want to look back and see how far you’ve come.
• Find an alternate way to accomplish your goal or restructure your plan.
• Recognize what you can change and what you can’t. Accepting the situation can relieve frustrated feelings when you realize you don’t have control over what happened.
• Exercise produces endorphins, making you feel accomplished and relieving stress.
Recognizing feelings of frustration is the first step to overcoming them. If you continue to have issues with frustration and anger, speak with a professional or consider joining a support group.
For more informative articles on Psychological health and other health related issues, please visit our website www.santripty.com and also YouTube channel https://youtube.com/@santripty and also feel free to consult with our experienced team of doctors, get benefits and stay healthy.