Tomato flu, often known as tomato fever, is a viral disease that causes blisters that resemble tomatoes. Children with tomato flu have an undetected fever, and Tomato Fever is still contested as a viral fever or an aftereffect of chikungunya or dengue fever.The flu affects children below the age of five.
Tomato fever, like other types of flu, is contagious. If someone is afflicted with this flu, they should be kept in isolation since it can spread quickly.
Children below five years of age have been suffering from a viral infection, called ‘tomato flu’ in Kerala’s Kollam, as per local media. More than 80 cases of tomato flu have been reported in Kollam.
The symptoms reported so far have been considered to be identical to chikungunya. The primary Tomato flu virus symptoms include:
• Tomato-like red blisters
• High fever
• Swelling in the joints
• Body ache
Some other symptoms include:
• Discoloration of hands, knees, and buttocks
• Abdominal cramps
• Runny nose
The exact cause of the infection is still undisclosed. The researchers are still investigating the causative organism responsible for tomato flu. As it is a transmissible disease, the healthcare providers advise taking precautionary measures to avoid infection.
Treatment & Prevention –
This flu is self-limiting, and there is no treatment. This means that the symptoms will resolve with time if supportive care is provided.
• It is a rare disease and has recent emergence, so no disease-specific medications are available. The doctors provide symptomatic care according to the child’s needs. The doctors prescribe antipyretic and pain-relievers to subside symptoms.
• The simplest way to avoid getting the flu is to practice proper hygiene.
•Along with this, keep your surroundings clean and sanitized regularly.
Infected children should stay hydrated by drinking plenty of filtered water.
• Blisters or rashes should not be scratched or ruptured, and proper hygiene and cleanliness should be maintained.
• Encourage the child to use a handkerchief in case of running nose or coughing to avoid the spread of the disease
• It is essential to get enough rest and sleep to promote healing
• Family and friends should avoid close contact with the diseased person.
For more informative articles on such newly found infections and other health related issues, please visit our website www.santripty.com and also feel free to consult with our experienced team of doctors, get benefits and stay healthy.
You must be logged in to post a comment.