Jal neti or Nasal irrigation is a practice of cleansing the nasal passages with warm saline water. It is a part of traditional yoga practices and has been used for thousands of years in India as a means of maintaining nasal hygiene.
The procedure for jal neti involves the following steps:
• Fill a neti pot or a small container with lukewarm water that is mixed with a teaspoon of non-iodized salt. The salt helps to create a solution that is similar in composition to the natural fluids found in the nasal passages.
• Stand over a sink or basin and tilt your head to one side. Insert the spout of the neti pot into the upper nostril and allow the water to flow through the nasal passage and out through the lower nostril.
• Repeat the process on the other side, tilting your head to the opposite side and inserting the spout into the upper nostril.
• Once you have completed the procedure on both sides, blow your nose gently to expel any remaining water.
The benefits of jal neti include:
• Improved nasal hygiene: The warm saline water helps to flush out dirt, pollen, and other irritants that can accumulate in the nasal passages, improving overall nasal hygiene.
• Reduced congestion: Jal neti can help to clear nasal congestion caused by allergies like hay fever, sinus infections such as sinusitis, headaches, or other respiratory conditions like common cold, cough, allergic rhinitis.
• Improved breathing: By clearing the nasal passages, jal neti can help to improve breathing and reduce snoring.
• Reduced risk of infections: By flushing out bacteria and viruses that can cause infections, jal neti can help to reduce the risk of respiratory infections.
It is important to note that jal neti should only be performed using sterile water and a properly cleaned neti pot or container to avoid the risk of infection. If you are new to the practice, it is best to learn it from a qualified yoga instructor.
For more informative articles on Yogic practices and other health related issues, please visit our website www.santripty.com and also YouTube channel https://youtube.com/@santripty and feel free to consult with our experienced team of doctors, get benefits and stay healthy.