Tankan Bhasma (Calcined Borax or Suhaga) is an ayurvedic-calcined formulation prepared from borax powder.
Borax (Suhaga) is only ingredient of Tankan Bhasma.
Chemically, Borax is Sodium borate with chemical formula Na2B4O7·10H2O. It is also called disodium tetraborate or sodium tetraborate.
Preparation Method –
Tankan Bhasma is reduced borax. It is heated to remove moisture first and then heated to make dry powder.
• Expectorant – main action
• Digestive Stimulant
• Fat Burner
The general dosage of Tankan Bhasma is as follows –
• Infants – 10 mg per Kg body weight
• Children – 50 to 125 mg
• Adults – 125 to 500 mg
• Geriatric (Old age) – 125 to 250 mg
• Respiratory Diseases
Tankan Bhasma is mainly given in respiratory diseases when any of following symptoms present.
• Production of sputum (mucus), which is thick white or yellow-green in color
• Shortness of breath with wheezing
• Chest congestion due to excess mucus
☆ It should not be given to person with throat irritation, dry (nonproductive) cough and persistent dry cough attacks.
The scalp application of Tankan Bhasma along with coconut oil or mustard oil helps in curing dandruff.
Due to antispasmodic action of Tankan Bhasma, it can be used for treating dysmenorrhea.
However, commonly it is not used for dysmenorrhea, but it can become beneficial when heavy clots are present in menstrual blood.
It is applied locally on warts once a day by making a fine paste mixed with lemon juice.
Side Effects –
Tankan Bhasma is LIKELY SAFE & WELL TOLERABLE in dosage less than 250 mg twice daily for a short-term use (less than 4 weeks).
The long-term use (more than 4 weeks) is not advisable. Its long-term use in low dosage and short-term use in high dosage can result in following side effects.
• Loss of appetite
• Nausea & Vomiting
• Hair fall
• Swelling – Generalized
• The long-term use may affect bones and cause bone mineral density loss.
• In some cases, a short-term use may also cause heartburn or burning sensation in abdomen.
• Long term usage of this can cause oligospermia.
• It may also affect ovulation in women and affect fertility. The possible reason may be it affects hormones.
Long-term use (more than 2 to 4 weeks) of Tankan Bhasma in pregnancy may affect birth weight and fetal bone or skeletal development. For lactating mothers, it should be taken under doctor supervision.
For more informative articles on Ayurvedic formulations and other health related issues, please visit our website www.santripty.com and also feel free to consult with our experienced team of doctors.