Vasarishtam is a herbally formulated ayurvedic formulation available in the form of a syrup. Its main ingredient is Vasaka – Malabar nut. It is a potent mucolytic and anti asthmatic. The syrup is indicated to be used in the treatment of respiratory ailments. It is also known by the terms – Vasakasavam, Vasakasav, Vasakarishta, Vasarishta, vasarista, Vasakadyarishtam etc.
• Vasaka (Adhatoda vasica)
• Gur (Jaggery)
• Dhatakipushp (Woodfordia fruticosa)
• Tvak (Cinnamomum zeylanicum)
• Ela (Elettaria cardamomum)
• Tejpatra (Cinnamomum tamala)
• Nagakeshar(Mesua ferrea)
• Kankola (Piper cubeba)
• Shunthi (Zingiber officinale)
• Maricha (Piper nigrum)
• Pippali (Piper longum)
• Tagar (Valerina wallichii)
Effect on Doshas
Vasarishtam mainly pacifies Pitta Dosha and balances Kapha Dosha.
• Appetite stimulant
The general dosage of Vasarishtam is as follows –
• Children (above the age of 5 years) – 2.5 to 10 ml
• Adults – 10 to 30 ml
• Maximum Possible Dosage – 60 ml Per Day (in divided doses)
• Doses: Twice a day with equal amount of water
• Best Time to Take: After Food
• Treats asthma, bronchitis & respiratory tract infections. It reduces wheezing sound in chest.
• Effective in hemoptysis (coughing up blood) & tuberculosis (phthisis or TB)
• Relieves in laryngitis & tonsillitis
• Relieves breathing difficulties & chest congestion
• Provides relief in cold, sore throat & nasal bleeding
• Useful in dry & productive cough
• It is useful to promote strength of bones and joints.
• It acts as an excellent anti inflammatory and analgesic mediicne.
• It is used for the treatment of ankle pain, ankle twitch, slipped disc, sprain, back spasm, backache, back injury, stiffness of muscles, Coccyx pain.
There are no absolute contraindications for Vasarishtam.
The safety profile of Vasarishtam is not well established for pregnant women. Consult an ayurvedic physician before using Vasarishtam during pregnancy.
Vasarishtam is likely safe to consume by lactating mothers. There are no adverse effects reported with the use of Vasarishtam in lactating mothers and breastfeeding babies.
For more informative articles on Ayurvedic formulations and other health issues, please visit our website www.santripty.com and also feel free to consult.