Patharchatta is a succulent, perennial plant. It is also known as miracle plant because whenever it lands, it develop roots and grow into individual plants. A single leaf has the ability to produce 8-10 plants. It has medicinal properties which is used to treat kidney diseases and urinary disorders. It is an evergreen plant. This red or green plant with hollow stalk is 3-4 feet in length. Its leaves are slightly thick and slightly spaced. Its botanical name is Bryophylum pinnatum and belongs to family Crassulacece. In Sanskrit it is famous by the name Pashanbheda because of its property of breaking kidney stones and get them out from the body.
Patharchatta has diuretic, wound healing, hepatoprotective, analgesic, astringent, anti-dysenteric, haemostatic antimicrobial, antiseptic, antispasmodic, antihypertensive and anti-inflammatory properties
Effect on doshas –
It pacifies all the three Vata, pitta & Kapha doshas.
Useful Part –
Bryophylum leaves are its most useful and effective part which can be used internally as well as externally..
Medicinal Uses –
• The problem of kidney stones can be got rid by consuming patharchatta.
The way to remove kidney stones includes the following steps –
▪︎Prepare a 40-50ml decoction from the patharchatta plant leaves.
▪︎When it cools down, mix shilajit 500mg and honey 2grams properly in the decoction.
▪︎Then drink this mixture little by little. Drink this decoction twice a day.
• Any type of urinary disorder can be removed from the decoction of leaves of Patharchatta.
• Patharchatta leaves paste is very beneficial in the treatment of wounds and boils. This paste cures boils by treating their redness and irritation.
• The extract of patharchatta leaves reduces hypertension.
• The use of the extract of the upper part of it is beneficial in leukemia or blood cancer.
• The decoction of patharchatta leaves twice a day reduces vaginal discharge.
• Patharchatta leaves paste over forehead can be extremely beneficial for people suffering from frequent headaches.
• Patharchatta soothes effectively any pain in muscles or joints. The old way of using patharchatta for treating pain is to slightly heat the leaf, apply lukewarm mustard oil and gently tie with a cotton cloth on the affected site.The analgesic property of patharchatta will not only bring down the pain level but also will reduce the swelling.
• According to Ayurveda, our health and wellbeing is directly related to our gut health.The majority of people suffer from digestion problems such as gas, bloating, stomach pain, heartburn, constipation etc. For maintaining healthy digestive system, churn the leaves into paste and consume 5-10 gm of it with warm water.
• Patharchatta leaves juice 2-5ml along with ghee 4-5ml and jeera powder is beneficial in bloody stools diarrhoea and dysentry.
For more informative articles on health issues, please visit our website www.santripty.com and also feel free to consult.
You can also follow us on