Shalmali tree is one of the very useful Ayurvedic herb, having botanical name Salmalia malabarica and belong to Bombacece family. This tree is known as king of forest because of its beautiful flowers and massive size. It is also known as Red silk cotton tree.
It is a tall deciduous tree having straight trunk and there are numerous conical prickles on branches and trunk.
Flowers are large, red or sometimes white in color, present near the end of branches either solitary or in cluster.
Fruit in a woody cylindrical capsule enclosing numerous, smooth, dark brown seeds which are embedded in white silky fibers.
Properties as per Ayurveda –
• Purish viranjaniya – Imparts natural color to faeces
• Shonitasthapana – Checks bleeding, improves blood quality and quantity
• Vedanasthapana – Analgesic
• Kashayaskanda – Astringent
Pharmacological Properties –
Effects on Doshas –
It is used to pacify pitta and vata dosha.
Chemical Constituents –
• Gum exudates contains gallic and tannic acids
• Bark, root bark, seed contains lupeol
• Flowers contain hentriacontane and gossypol.
• Whole plant contains betasistosterol and glucosides
Useful Part –
Flower, gum, stembark, seeds, petiole, peduncle and prickles/thorns
Thorns are pounded with milk and the paste is applied over pimples.
Shalmali tree gum exudate is called Mochrasa, which is styptic and haemostatic.
• Stem bark powder – 5 to 10 gm
• Flower, Root bark powder- 3 to 5 gm
• Gum – 1 to 3gm
• Infusion of flower – 12 to 20 gm
Health Benefits –
• It’s roots are styptic, that’s why shalmali is used for treating dysentry, diarrhoea, menorrhagia and for wounds.
• Bark of this tree is used to stop bleeding.
• Gum of this plant is used to reduce burning sensation and also effective for treating dysentry, haemoptysis, influenza, pulmonary tuberculosis and enteritis.
• Paste of thorns of the stem bark is applied externally as paste to cure pimples and acne.
• Seeds are used to treat chronic cystitis and gonorrhoea.
• It is used to improve both quantity and quality of semen. It is very beneficial for the sufferers of nocturnal emission.
• Flowers are used to cure Splenomegaly, conjunctivitis and haemorrhage. Flowers are laxative, diuretic and aIso beneficial for skin disorders.
• Mature fruits of the plant are used in treatment of ulceration of kidney and bladder.It is also used to reduce chronic inflammation and calculi related disorders.
• Shalmali Ghrita
• Himsagara Tailam
For more informative articles on herbs and other health issues, please visit our website www.santripty.com and also feel free to consult.