Hyperaldosteronism, also known as Conn’s syndrome, is a condition where the adrenal glands produce too much aldosterone, a hormone that regulates salt and water balance in the body.
• High Blood Pressure: Elevated blood pressure is a common symptom, often resistant to standard antihypertensive medications.
• Low Blood Potassium: Hypokalemia can lead to weakness, muscle cramps, and irregular heartbeats.
• Muscle Weakness: Due to potassium imbalance affecting muscle function.
• Fatigue: Often caused by low potassium levels and high blood pressure.
• Headache: Elevated blood pressure can lead to headaches.
• Frequent Urination: Increased aldosterone levels can affect fluid balance.
• Primary Hyperaldosteronism: Arises from a problem within the adrenal glands themselves, usually due to adrenal adenomas or hyperplasia.
• Secondary Hyperaldosteronism: Caused by factors outside the adrenal glands, such as kidney issues, heart failure, or cirrhosis.
• Primary Aldosteronism: The adrenal glands produce excess aldosterone due to adenomas or hyperplasia.
• Secondary Aldosteronism: Results from conditions stimulating aldosterone production, like kidney problems or heart failure.
Risk Factors –
• Age: More common in people over 30.
• Family History: Genetic predisposition can play a role.
• Obesity: Excess weight can increase the risk.
• High Salt Intake: Too much dietary sodium may contribute.
• Certain Medical Conditions: Kidney disease, heart failure, and cirrhosis can elevate the risk.
• Heart attack
• Acute myocardial infarction
• Kidney failure
• Blood Tests: Measure aldosterone and renin levels to assess the aldosterone-renin ratio.
• Imaging: CT scans or MRI may identify adrenal abnormalities.
• Adrenal Vein Sampling: Helps distinguish between unilateral and bilateral causes.
• Medication: Aldosterone antagonists like spironolactone can block the effects of aldosterone.
• Surgery: Adenoma removal can be considered for primary hyperaldosteronism.
• Lifestyle Changes: Reducing salt intake and managing weight can help control symptoms.
Ayurvedic Treatment –
• Kanchanara guggulu
• Drakshadi kashaya
• Vyoshadi guggulu
• Guduchyadi kashaya
For more informative articles on other health related issues, please visit our website www.santripty.com and also YouTube channel https://youtube.com/@santripty and feel free to consult with our experienced team of doctors, get benefits and stay healthy.