The melon seeds, also known as magaz in Hindi. They are generally greyish white and hard shelled with a soft white inner kernel. They are rich in protein, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, fats and other nutrients. They lack any distinct scent but have a nutty and sweet taste. The melon seeds are used in baking, dressing of bread cake, confectionery, supari, sweets, refreshing drinks and snack foods. Also, they can be directly consumed after roasting.
Watermelon is an amazing hydrating fruit as it contains 92% of water and is enriched with minerals and vitamins. Its seeds are super-rich in various nutrients. These seeds have a low-calorie count and are rich in micronutrients like zinc, magnesium, potassium, etc. Watermelon seeds boost immunity and heart health and help to control blood sugar levels, thereby occupying a prominent place in the diabetes diet chart.
How it is used in food?
• The seeds are used for preparing delicious sweets like the halwas and fudges and savoury snacks.
• Also, the melon seeds can be used as mouth fresheners when mixed with nuts and spices.
• Melon seeds paste is added to spicy meat dishes to thicken its consistency.
• The hard flesh of the melon fruit is not wasted either and is used to season various flours for making exotic breads. White melon seeds are fried and then used in making various types of cakes.
• Another innovative usage for melon seeds is in cereals and fruit puddings.
• Healthy skin : Watermelon seeds are a rich source of unsaturated fatty acids (linoleic acid and oleic acid). These unsaturated fatty acids help to maintain the natural glow of the skin. In addition, the antioxidants present in the seeds slow down the skin ageing. Thus, the skin appears younger, softer and healthier. It also takes care of many dermatological problems (skin infections, rashes, and to some extent even skin cancer).
• Diabetes : It is a proven fact that watermelon seeds help to keep diabetes at bay. Add some watermelon seeds (~ a handful) in one-liter water. Bring the mixture to a boil (~40-45 minutes). For better results, drink this liquid regularly.
• A boost to male fertility : Lycopene, a strong antioxidant, plays a significant role in enhancing the male fertility.
• Memory : People with a short memory or memory problems benefit immensely from watermelon seeds.
• Hypertension : Arginine present in watermelon seeds plays a significant role in regulating the blood pressure. It also plays a pivotal role in the prevention of coronary heart diseases.
• Get rid of dandruff: People with itchy scalp and dandruff can use watermelon seed oil for some relief.
• Rich source of proteins and amino acids: Watermelon seeds are a rich source of proteins and amino acids. Thus, it plays a significant role in strengthening the hair. The essential fatty acids go a long way to prevent extensive hair damage. Watermelon seeds are loaded with multivitamin B, ensuring a healthy immune and nervous system.
• Full of omega 6 fatty acids: The watermelon seeds are full of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) and omega 6 fatty acids. These fatty acids act as a shield, keeping the bad cholesterol or low-density lipoprotein (LDL) level within limits. The lower level of LDL implies a lesser probability of cardiac and other heart ailments.
• Healthy Heart : Drinking tea made of watermelon seeds is instrumental in maintaining a healthy heart. The magnesium present in the seeds aid in the stabilization of the metabolic processes, important for the proper functioning of the heart. The watermelon seed oil, known as the Kalahari oil, has excellent moisturizing properties and is often used as a skin moisturizer.
• Treat edema: In many cases, watermelon seeds are used to treat edema. A teaspoon of the melon seeds (dried and grounded) is mixed with a teaspoon of honey. The mixture is then added in a cup of water (lukewarm to warm, ~3/4th). The concoction is mixed well and consumed twice daily.
For more informative articles on Nutritious seeds and other health related issues, please visit our website www.santripty.com and also YouTube channel https://youtube.com/@santripty and feel free to consult with our experienced team of doctors, get benefits and stay healthy.
You must be logged in to post a comment.