Haridrakhand is a very famous and highly effective Ayurvedic medicine, where the main ingredient is organic turmeric. lt is loaded with the goodness of turmeric and other herbal powders, this formulation is your best bet against allergies. It is your umbrella against all sorts of skin problems like itchiness, pruritis, fungal infections, hives and blisters. It is in granules form.
Turmeric – 384 g
cow ghee – 288 g
milk – 3.072 liters
sugar candy- 2.4 kg
This mixture is heated to prepare a semi solid mass. It is added with below Prakshepa dravya
Trikatu – Pepper, long pepper and ginger – 48 g each
Cinnamon, Cardamom, Patra (Cinnamomum tamala) – 48 g each
Vidanga – Embelia ribes – 48 g
Trivrit – Operculina turpethum – 48 g
Triphala – Haritaki, Vibhitaki and Amla – 48 g each
Nagakeshar – Mesua ferrea – 48 g
Musta – Cyperus rotundus – 48 g
Lauha bhasma – 48 g
Effect on Doshas –
Haridrakhand can be used regardless to the dominance of the Dosha. It is good for disorders with KAPHA dominance, then for VATA dominance and then for PITTA dominance. However, it likely has hot potency, but it releases PITTA from the liver, which also makes it effective in excess PITTA disorders. Therefore, it can be used in all types of skin diseases regardless to Dosha dominance.
• Dosage for Adults –
5 – 10 g once or two times a day before or after food, as directed by Ayurvedic doctor. It is usually given along with milk or honey.
• Dosage for children below 5 years of age –
1 – 2 grams, once or twice a day, along with a teaspoon of honey or warm water / milk.
• Dosage for children between 5 – 12 years of age –
5 grams once or twice a day along with a teaspoon of honey or warm water / milk.
• Haridrakhand rejuvenates and revitalizes skin, delays the signs of aging like wrinkles in skin.
• Haridrakhand reduces occurrence of white or red itchy welts. The effect is due to Anti-allergic and Antihistaminic properties of various ingredients in it.
• It also improves skin quality and complexion.
• Haridrakhand along with Khadirarishta can help relieving itching sensation due to its antipruritic, antihistamine, anti-inflammatory and blood purifier action.
• Haridrakhand is reported to be more effective in weeping eczema.
• It is also beneficial for people who also suffer from hay fever or asthma along with eczema.
• It is used to treat itching skin disorders, blisters, fungal skin infections.
• Haridrakhand contains turmeric (Haldi) that has anti-allergic effect. The formulation works better as compared to turmeric powder alone. It helps stopping sneezing and reducing nasal congestion and postnasal drip.
Side Effects –
Haridrakhand may cause increased body heat, fullness of abdomen and mouth ulcers. This problem does not occur if it is taken with cow milk.
Haridrakhand contains Haritaki (Terminalia Chebula) and Trivrit (Operculina Turpethum). Both herbs exert mild laxative action and induce mild uterine contractions. However, these effects are insignificant with the amount present in Haridrakhand, but still it will be best to avoid Haridra Khanda in pregnancy.
Haridrakhand can be safely used during lactation.
For more informative articles on Ayurvedic formulations and other health related issues, please visit our website www.santripty.com and also feel free to consult.